HISTORIC EDINBURGH, NEWHAVEN AND LEITHHalf day private vehicle tour
Come with 7 Hills Tours on a journey far into Edinburgh’s rich history!
There are wonderful historic places to be found all around the Edinburgh area, and on our half day luxury private vehicle tour we’ll be ‘stravaiging’ (wandering purposefully!) all over the city to bring you the best, from the sea to the hills!
First we’ll head down to the coast, and Edinburgh’s twin historic ports of Newhaven and Leith, before winding our way to the city’s furthest southern edge, taking in a multitude of Edinburgh’s most historic sites as we go, from prehistoric sacred sites to the world’s oldest golf courses! At the half way point we’ll refresh with a complimentary cream tea!
Picking your party up at your accommodation, cruise vessel or choice of Edinburgh location, we will be taking you to visit the following sites in our half day tour, with complimentary cream tea at the luxurious Braid Hills Hotel:
- Newhaven Harbour– this is where the mighty ‘Great Michael’ was built on the orders of King James IV, the biggest ship in the western world at that time. Also Edinburgh’s fishing harbour to this day, and base for the famous Newhaven Fishwives, who walked great distances daily to sell the catch across the Edinburgh area.
- The Shore, Leith – Historic trading dock and Royal landing place, the Shore has some fine historic buildings including a 16thCentury merchant’s house and the original Royal Inn of the Stewarts, the King’s Wark.
- Leith Links– one of our contenders for the oldest golf course in the world, now a peaceful park.
- Holyrood Park– encampment of Bonnie Prince Charlie’s Jacobite army in 1745, at the base of the spectacular volcanic Salisbury Crags.
- The Meadows– once the city’s ‘South Loch’, supplying water for drinking and brewing, now a much loved green space.
- ‘Kamchatka’ – a.k.a. Sciennes Hill House, home of enlightenment luminary Adam Ferguson and site of the only meeting between Walter Scott and Robert Burns.
- Bruntsfield Links– our other contender for most ancient golf course in the world, this is still in use for short golf, and features reputedly the world’s first golf clubhouse!
- The Bore Stone– This is the drilled stone from which fluttered the flag of King James IV, mustering his troops before the fateful march to the English border and Flodden Field.
- The Caiy Stane– Edinburgh’s most ancient structure, a mighty standing stone with typical cup and ring marks, probably of spiritual significance for Edinburgh’s early people.
- Comiston Water-House– the supply house for the famous Comiston Springs, tapped in the 1600’s by Peter Brusche to pipe water to the Royal Mile.
- At the end of the tour your party will be dropped off at your choice of Edinburgh location.
- Credit/debit cards, cash, Apple/Samsung pay accepted.
- Half day tour (approx four and half hours
- Visiting key historic sites in Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven.
- Pickup and dropoff at accommodation or cruise vessel included; dropoff can be at any location in Edinburgh area
- Refreshment stop (tea/coffee and scones inclusive), at Braid Hills Hotel
- Warm clothing required
- Weather dependent tour - 7 Hills Tours may cancel and refund in case of severe weather
- Free cancellation up to 24hrs before tour time
- Commentary from local guide
- Children welcome but any child safety seat(s) must be provided by guests